Fort St. George was built in 1640 by the British East India Company, under the direction of Francis Day and Andrew Cogon.
St. Mary’s Chruch and the Fort Museum are the two places within the premises of Fort St. George.
St. Mary’s Church, was established in 1680, and it is one of the oldest churches in India. Fort St. George houses St. Mary’s Church & The Fort Museum. The tomb stones that are found in the premises of the Fort are one of the oldest tomb stones of British origin when in India.
A visit to Fort St.George is an icing on the cake for any Madras enthusiast for the walls of the 100 acre precincts holds the key to the metamorphosis of a seaside sleepy village of Madarasa patinnam to the seat of power of the TN Govt. with its rise to fame or notoriety hidden in every by lane of this settlement. In the interest of the post not turning into a synopsis of Sriram’s book and to urge every Chennaites to visit the St.George fort and the museum under the able guidance of a historian.
The Fort Museum located within Fort St.George is a large repository of arms and armaments of British era. The museum exhibits a wide range of artifacts like, Weapons, Canons, Shields, Uniforms, Manuscripts, Paintings, Letters, coins, medals, etc.
Travel Tips: Timings: 5 AM to 9 PM