Chennai International Airport is major airport in South India, and also the primary airport that serves the city of Chennai. Chennai airport is one of the first airport in India. The airport has connectivity to most of the domestic airports in the country and many major airports in the world. It also serves as the regional headquarters of the Airports Authority of India (AAI) for the southern region that includes the states of Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka and the union territories of Lakshadweep and Puducherry. The airport was opened in 1910.
- In 1932, the first aircraft ‘Puss Moth’ landed in the airport, but the usage was only limited to military operations during World War II.
- In 1952, the Civil Aviation Department took over the airport.
- In 1972, the International Airports Authority of India (IAAI) took over the airport.
- In 1978, an air cargo complex was commissioned.
- In 1985, a new domestic terminal was commissioned.
- In 1989, a new international terminal was commissioned.
- In 2003, a new international departure terminal was established.
There are two terminals at the airport – Kamaraj Domestic Terminal and Anna International Terminal. Both the terminals are named after the former chief ministers of Tamil Nadu, K. Kamaraj and C. N. Annadurai.
Passenger flights: Air India, Air Arabia, Air Asia, Air Austral, Air India Express, Air Mauritius, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Etihad, Go Air, Gulf Air, Indigo, Jet Airways/Jetlite, Kuwait Airways, Lufthansa, Malaysian Airlines, Maldivian Airlines, Oman Air, Qatar Airways, Saudia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Silk Air, Spice Jet, Srilankan Airlines, Thai Airways, Thai Air Asia, Tiger Air.
This airport has also got a Cargo Unit that carries cargo to all over the world. It is one of the busiest airport.
Cargo flights: Blue Dart Cargo, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Etihad, Ethiopian Air, Lufthansa, Malaysian Airlines, Martin Air Cargo, Qatar Airways, DHL Express (NS), Fedex (NS)
Charter flights: TVS, TAJ, SUN, Swajas, India Cement, Indira Air, Reliance, Orient Flying School, Omega, Lakshmi Mills, Rainbow Air
The Airforce is also located near to this Airport.